• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

What does Stress do to you, personally?

Status
Not open for further replies.

An Iz

Bluelighter
What are the little things you notice that go wrong or change in your life when you get stressed?

~~

I used to pick at zits, then i stopped that. Then I started picking at my fingernails, but I got that under control too. For a while I'd pluck the hairs on my nuts. Regret that one. I would also pull out eyelashes during one period of my life. I defeated a host of little distractions and mind glitches, until now. Stress basically flips my sleep schedule. There doesn't seem to be anything I can do about it. However, if I give in and stay up all night and sleep from like 6am till 2pm, I feel great.

But this won't cut the mustard when I get a job... It feels like I'm just squeezing air in a long balloon with this stress though. I wish meditation, yoga, breathwork, relaxation techniques, hobbies, or philosophy would take care of the conditions in my life that stress me but which I don't do anything to change!

~~

Heres a link to a little information about how stress actually caused the cuban missle crisis, it didn't only result from it. T.hey made it into a comic book

Last edited:
stress makes me do a lot of things.... pace around, cant conentrate, eat more, eat less, pick at my face, exercise a lot, not exercise at all, procrastinate, work really hard, get fucked up, get heartburn.... .it all depends on the day for me i guess. im always stressed out for some reason or another.

Only two things.....either I go on an eating binge, or I starve myself. Very extreme.

It fogs my brain so I can't think clearly, and only see the negative, not the positive.

Usually I start getting real fidgety and can't sit still. I tend to smoke a lot more cigarettes also and my sleeping habits get all out of whack. I sleep like shit.

Interesting thread! I'm always really intrigued at how stress can culminate in physical or other mental issues.

I'm seriously stressed at work at the moment, and my face is horribly covered with pimples/blemishes and I'm constantly picking at them!
I can't sleep so I have dark dircles under my eyes.
I've had to double my reflux medication to keep up with the symptoms.
I'm trying to not drink alcohol during the week at the moment but it's really fucking hard because I always drink to alleviate stress! I gave in last night and had a bottle of wine. Oh well...

A huge symptom of stress for me is neck tension and headaches. This is the first symptom I get if I'm even remotely stressed. I'm so lucky to have a boyfriend who will give me a quick (or long, depending on his mood :D) massage at the drop of a hat, and my osteopath is literally down the road.

That reminds me, I have to book an appointment to see him..... :)

Excellent thread An Is, some helpful threads coming up all at once, to help people reflect!

Stress in a reasonable amount is healthy to make you perturbate and come with solutions, or get up and move, or foccus it and direct it somewhere constructive. It is essential or else you sit on it and you become fidgety, because it is stagnant, pretty much like its oposite-inertia. If you give it direction it can become beneficial.

Stress had turned me into a doer, but learned to relax and to enjoy just being.

nail biting, face-picking, eating, thinking, slouching, worsening inflammation (I have rheumatoid arthritis), makes me anti-social... stress sux! :(

pick fingernails

dont sleep

get really bad muscle pains(shoulders mostly)

fucks up my stomach

i blink a lot

[TMI]

I get the shits. Seriously. I have anxiety-linked IBS. But since I internalize things so much, it's often a good barometer to how stressed I actually am. I may not 'feel' stressed, but if I'm crapping seven times a day then I know that I'm stressed.

[/TMI]

Dave, thats a pretty good stress barometer lol.

So after my stuff got taken care of, my sleep schedule did another 180º Flip-flop.. I fell asleep at midnight and woke up at 6am. Back to normal instantly.

Headaches, inability to sleep or eat, extreme nail biting, cuticle/hangnail tearing, drug abuse...I'm very susceptible to stress...but without it and I can't get the motivation to do a goddamn thing.

The other day the stress rose to an anxiety attack that was characterized by fluttering heart, nausea, stomachache, dizziness, headache, dry mouth, fears of dying, fears of going crazy...and all this in the middle of a physics test, at the lower end of a completely filled stadium seating auditorium. I finally had to give up on a problem, turn the test in and get the fuck out of there. Got a C on the test and an A in the class.

Under stress, I don't sleep well, my upper back hurts, I might get a headache, my face breaks out and I EAT and EAT and EAT....

Under stress, my tendencies toward procrastination are exacerbated severely.
Some thrive on stress...or at least work well under an imminent deadline. I find it paralyzing. :)

The other day the stress rose to an anxiety attack that was characterized by fluttering heart, nausea, stomachache, dizziness, headache, dry mouth, fears of dying, fears of going crazy...and all this in the middle of a physics test, at the lower end of a completely filled stadium seating auditorium. I finally had to give up on a problem, turn the test in and get the fuck out of there. Got a C on the test and an A in the class.

Dude we sound like twins. Except I literally have my life flash before my eyes along with the symptoms you describe. Its always like I need to work myself into a near death experience to get those answers out of the pencil.

I stop eating, pick at my face, pluck my bikini line... sleep lots and have a spaced head and foggy memory.

I become extremely short tempered, and am more inclined to do things considered unlawful.

I'd mention appetite and sleep as well, but my eating and sleeping habits are so irregular as they are, I don't think the effects stress has on them are very significant.

Status
Not open for further replies.